All employees face some or the other problem at their work place. And if you are denying this fact, then you are probably lying! Is it possible for anyone to have a life without complications at all whatsoever? Well, in the rarest of rare cases, maybe, but by and large, most of us are likely to come across some workplace issues in our lifetime. In the same way, workplace related bothers, major or minor, are inevitable in an organization. Regardless of the size, a problem is a problem and most of the time it is more about what appears to be a difficulty from different angles and in varying degrees among employees. Dealing with work place hassles can be very easy if a glitch is understood in the right perspective. Throughout life, knowingly or unknowingly, people will constantly throw obstacles and challenges on your path. All you have to do to overcome such hurdles. Keep the right attitude and spirit and you can resolve almost any problem at the work place. There are various kinds of problems that a person could come across in his/her work place. Read on to know and recognize some of the commonly occurring issues in the workplace.
Problems In The Workplace
- Gender Diversity: This refers to a lack of a good balance of both men and women in the work place. Many companies tend to be more partial towards one gender for specific positions. For example, companies may prefer hiring either only men or more men than women in departments such as “maintenance” or “transportation” and thus lack the diversity of having women. By doing so, such a company may not only miss out on qualified candidates, it may never fully grow into a vibrant and diverse entity with different views and perspectives that could do wonders to the marketing of services and products. Diversity can always enrich the environment.
- Cultural/Ethnic Diversity: Cultural and ethnic identities are primarily based on daily practices, rituals and beliefs depending on religion, creed and/or race. When there is no diversity of culture or ethnicity in an organization, then that company does not show the reality of society. People can learn various things through an exposure to and mingling with different types of people and that can only happen if there is a diverse cultural and ethnic group within a company.
- Diversity in Capabilities: Diversity in capabilities refers to a sensitivity towards employees who may be mentally or physically differently-abled or maybe afflicted by some physical or mental shortcomings. Serious problems could occur for those employees who have been slotted into various groups of the differently abled as a result of which they are not allowed to build on their actual capabilities. A company practicing such discrimination will also suffer by not giving a commensurate salary to an employee whose true potential is not maximized on the work front simply because s/he wears the otherwise irrelevant tag of a particular class, sect or sex.
- Harassment: Physical or mental harassment is a serious problem that many companies face today. In case of any kind of harassment, serious action should be taken against the culprit. This kind of problem is not only bad for employee morale, but is fully capable of ruining the company’s name and easily sends its reputation down the drain.
- Wastage Of Time: There are people who call meetings for the minutest of things. Let everyone know that they should call for meetings only if it is regarding something very important. If possible, deal with more than one issue in the same meeting rather than call separate meetings for different issues. Also, don’t call everyone for the meeting. Call only required employees for the meeting. During the meeting, avoid going off track. Stick to the point.
- Incompetence: Incompetence is a very big problem. In fact this problem exists even outside the office premises. There are some people who are simply inept, no matter what they do. There are times when the problem isn’t about incompetence but about negative attitudes or a lack of motivation, over-work or other problems in the workplace. Even being short-tempered can lead to a lot of problems in the company. To resolve these kinds of problems, you will need a lot of patience in solving them.