Studying to become an engineer is definitely not the easiest thing in the world and working as an engineer and gaining a credible reputation is unquestionably that much tougher. However, if there is one thing that can put an engineer with a good number of years of experience off track or from making a perfect jump to a better job, it’s got to be his/her resume. Since most engineers are so caught up with technology and their jobs, when it comes to preparing or updating their resumes, they almost always find themselves in a spot of bother. Some engineers may not even think it necessary to flaunt a resume that looks professional. It may suffice for them to just have a resume that contains mostly only technical details. However, this is a wrong practice and should be shunned. An engineering resume should not just contain details on technical expertise, but also details on strengths, experience, and education. Read on to uncover tips on preparing an engineering resume and an engineering resume sample.
Sample Engineering Resume
- Use a professional looking font. Arial, Calibri and Verdana are good examples of professional looking fonts. Make sure that the font size is neither too big nor too small. Something around 11-12 font size would be appropriate.
- Do not use more than three fonts.
- As difficult as it is going to be, try limiting your resume to only two pages.
- Do not use long sentences.
- Give importance to your technical details, and if there still is place, include your soft skills too.
- Superfluous acronyms are not allowed.
- Abstain from using vague terms and unnecessary words.
- Stick to the facts. Do not try to bluff your way to the interview.
- Make it a point not to repeat yourself on your resume. This will only destroy your chances of landing the job.
*The following resume is prepared keeping in mind a senior software engineer.
No. 4, Madhav Shetty Street, Ramaiah Town, Mysore – 110 006
Mob. No. – 90829 18798
Mail Id – [email protected]
About Me: Keen, Sharp, Top-Producing Engineer with over 10 years of experience in the provision of database and programming expertise. Out-of-the-box thinker and executer as far as problem identifications, research analysis, and resolutions are concerned. Specialized knowledge in third party product improvements, pioneering technologies, churning out sustainable technology gains and redesigning faulty processes.
-Client Requirement Definition -C# Essentials
-Troubleshooting -MS Team Foundation Server
-Emerging Technologies -Data Transfer
-Quality Assurance -Migration
-DCPA -ASP.NET 2.0 & 3.5
-Microsoft Biz Talk -Visual Studio 2008
Senior Software Engineer – Infosys (2000 – Present)
Software Engineer – IBM (1992-2000)
Key Tasks Included:
- Increasing user efficiency and automating the customer location update process.
- Trained and mentored human resource on procedures associated with systems and troubleshooting.
- Managed Production Support Systems during the course of the absence of the Lead Engineer.
- Supplemented revenue via implementing and maintain company directory application.
Education: Bachelor’s in Engineering – Computer Science – IIT, Chennai